Tuesday, March 29, 2005

Lee Siegel's Raging Bullshit

The New Republic Online: Raging Bullshit

I now have even less of a desire to see the Contender. I do feel that Lee is now one of the most cynical and depressing writers who are paid. Read this:

“So for the Christian right, Schiavo has become something like a human antidepressant. Her plight, perhaps, makes them feel better about themselves and not Left Behind by Hollywood, or by sophisticated Northeastern elites, or by urban decadence, or urban mores, or urban wealth. And by arguing, no, insisting that her story have a happy ending, they can cheer themselves up about the society they are helping to create every day, a society in which being able to celebrate the spectacle of the weak getting pummeled, and the weak wasting away from within in a vegetative state, is the measure of one's strength. Nietzsche and Christ, together at last.”

What land does he inhabit? Where does his sweet head rest? I would really fear to be in one of his nightmares. I for one cannot understand him; it is like listening to a beautiful bird sing while on the toilet what can I do to understand? I think that he is breathing in and out resentment over last November - it is so pure and radiant. What is he saying? Am I so illiterate have I ruined some vital brain cell with diet soda? Am I in a vegetative state? Is this a state with a governor a house of representatives and homes with televisions and clocks on the wall? What does he mean I am gasping at straws please feed me something I can use something Mr. Seigal. Like this:

a society in which being able to celebrate the spectacle of the weak getting pummeled, and the weak wasting away from within in a vegetative state, is the measure of one's strength.

(wispering). “What does this have to do with Televsion?”

He forgets that he writes about Television which is like writing about listening to birds while on the toilet. He is a TELEVISION critic. HELLO Mr Seigal you have nothing to say about moral issues - alls you know bouts is tellyvishun.

You come across as a cynical selfish man with a mean streak. One imagines that you look at those signs and you opine softly to your inner child:

“who would take care of me? Who would sing to me softly, to whisper “I love you”, to gently caress my head slowly with time to spare if I were so very sick, so vulnerable. No one. I would die, to fall into the deep darkness, to be relieved of those who contend against me.”

Lee has his facts wrong – he does not understand what he is talking about – I can tell because I cannot understand what he is getting at other than he is pissed off about something.

Ted Sbardella

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 2.5 License.